Memories of the 20th Century 1946 to 1947
I married Joan in April 1947. We had both served in the R A F, I was demobed in August 1946, so we kept in touch by writing to each other every day. One weekend we met in Windsor, I stayed in a hotel and Joan stayed at the Y.M.C.A No sleeping together in those days, but we were very happy just being together.
Joan had no support from her parents in making the arrangements for the Wedding so my mother and sister helped us. The Wedding dress and Bridesmaids dresses were loaned to us by my cousin and I wore my demob suit as you had to have coupons to buy almost everything.
As Joan had served in the R.A.F for nearly 4 years she had very little civilian clothes so my family saved their coupons so she could buy some clothes for the honeymoon.
I brought Joan’s engagement ring at Bravingtons in Kensington high street. A solitaire diamond which she always wanted from a little girl. I also brought the wedding ring at the same time. I didn’t have a ring, as men did not wear rings in those days.
We got married on a Wednesday at 2 30pm as all shops had to close by law midweek and the guests could not take a Saturday off. On the eve of our Wedding Joan stayed at my parent’s house and I slept at the two rooms that we rented to live after the Wedding.
We were married at a Methodist church, my Father took Joan and the Bridesmaids in his car and I walked to the church with my Brother who was Best Man. We had our reception at a café on the seafront for about 25 people, and left for our Honeymoon on the 6pm Bus to Torquay but had to spend the night at Exeter as the bus did not go any further that night so we continued our journey next day.
On our return from Torquay Joan had to return to the R.A.F station to show her Marriage Certificate to get demobed from the R.A.F. It took about a month before she came home but she did not complain but did her duty.
We went on to have 60 very happy years together. It was the best thing I ever did.
S.H.S
Saturday, 17 May 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment